Thursday, April 24, 2008

Massage vs. Words

The differences between men and women are very interesting and seemingly limitless. Especially when it comes to how we give and receive love. One of the great challenges of marriage is learning what our partners love languages are and then loving them in those ways. For instance, Jordyn's love languages are quality time and words of affirmation. I continually try to love her with acts of service (cleaning, building things, washing the cars, yard work, etc.). Although she appreciates these things, they don't make her feel loved. Last night we were laying in bed and I asked her to give me a back massage. She said, "How about I say nice things to you instead?" I said, "No thanks, I'll take the rubs." Now, I do like to be affirmed. But if she were to ask me this question ten times I would probably choose the massage nine times out of ten. We chuckled at how primitive men can be some times...make body feel good now. I'm convinced that God uses marriage to grow us and build our character. He's teaching me to get out of my own world and think of the needs of others. He's teaching me to love others in new ways. I'm glad that He and my wife are patient.
Tunes: Cat Power - Silver Stallion (the whole Jukebox album is pretty stellar)

No comments: